Автор: Гудкова Елена Николаевна Должность: учитель английского языка
Учебное заведение: ОСШОД№8
Населённый пункт: город Уральск
Наименование материала: конспект урока
Тема: "Different genres of cinema"
Дата публикации: 24.09.2016
урока: “Different genres of cinema. Outstanding films and actors.”
1. Закреплять и развивать навыки устной речи, аудирования и чтения,
развивать умение излагать свои мысли и применять знания, умения и навыки
в пределах изученного материала.
2. Развивать познавательную деятельность учащихся: внимание и память,
мыслительную активность, творческое воображение.
3. Расширять кругозор учащихся, вызывать интерес к учению и воспитывать
потребность в знаниях.
Тип урока: урок закрепления и применения знаний, умений и навыков.
репродуктивный, объяснительно- иллюстративный,
Формы организации познавательной деятельности:
фронтальная, парная, групповая.
Оснащение: карточки, раздаточный материал, интерактивная доска.
Hello, everybody! Today's lesson is devoted to cinema. We 'll speak about different
genres of cinema and about outstanding representatives of this wonderful kind of
First of all let's refresh the vocabulary. All the words and expressions will help you
in your further work.
2. Этап закрепления знаний, необходимых для формирования умений .
1. Give me the English equivalents
фильм, кинокартина– film, movie, picture
документальный фильм– documentary
дублированный– dubbed film
худ. фильм– feature film
научно-популярный– popular science
короткометражный– short film
научно-фантастический– a science-fiction film
географический фильм– a travelogue
учебный фильм– an educational film
приключенческий– an adventure film
детектив– a crime film
фильм ужасов– a horror film
приключенческий фильм с острыми ситуациями– a thriller
снимать фильм– to shoot a film
играть главную роль– to be in the title role
счастливый(несчастливый) конец– a happy (unhappy) ending
иметь большой успех– to be a hit
банальный, избитый сюжет– a hackneyed plot
актеры, занятые в главных ролях(на второстепенных)
– leading (supporting)
Фильм захватывающий– The film is thrilling.
Содержание интригующее– The plot is exciting.
производить глубокое и незабываемое впечатление на– to leave a deep and
lasting impression upon
создавать правдивый(жизненный) образ– to create a true-to life image
соответствовать ч/л вкусу– to be in one's line
быть глубоко взволнованным– to be deeply moved
В этом фильме сильнее всего меня поразило– While watching the screen I was
most impressed by
Этот фильм стоит посмотреть–This film is worth seeing.
значение–The film is of great
Чувствовать себя духовно обогащенным– to arouse a feeling of spiritual
2. Try to guess the word connected with cinema according to the description:
1. This person is responsible for the artistic side of a film. He chooses the actors,
supervises rehearsals, shooting and so on. (Director)
2. The person or group or company who finances a film and therefore exercises
general control over it. (Producer)
3. All the actors and actresses appearing in a film. (Cast)
4. It is the recording of all the sounds in a film: dialogue, background noises, sound
effects, music. (Sound-track – фонограмма)
5. The person responsible for the photography (Cameraman)
6. This person makes people acquainted with the latest events in the country and
abroad and with the latest news.
7. This person writes scripts for films. ( Scriptwriter).
8. It is a part of film which is played by actors and actresses. ( Role).
9. He chooses the best bits of the shooting film, cuts films and outs the bits
together. ( Editor).
3. There are many genres in cinematography and now let’s check up if you
know them well. Take the card, read the description and name the film genre:
1. Blood, screams, monsters, vampires, maniacs and knives are typical of these
2. Real facts of the events of the past without film stars are presented by these
films before the audience.
3. They are usually unrealistic as they are about unreal or supernatural things and
are stuffed with events and have a mysterious plot.
(Science fiction films)
4. They are films with a mysterious plot and people always try to guess who
criminals in the film are. Mysteries and clues are typical of these films.
5. They are realistic, truly reflect the past and teach you to defend justice. Wars and
heroes are typical of these films.
6. Cowboys, guns, shots, saloons and prairies are typical of these films.
7. They are always full of tears and are said to be romances for girls.
8. They are films with painted personages for children as a rule.
9. Love, sorrow and relationship are typical of such films.
10. They are funny and make people smile and laugh. Jokes and sometimes silly
situations are typical of such films.
11. They are sometimes too dramatic and usually everybody dies at the end.
12. They are said to have a funny plot with a lot of music.
4. Ask your friend and your friend will answer the question: (P1-P2-P3, etc).
– if she likes to watch TV
– what she prefers: to go to the pictures or to watch TV
– what her favourite TV programme is
– what types of films she prefers
– if popular science films are to her taste
– who her favourite actor(actress) is
– how often she goes to the cinema
– which films she isn't interested in
– how often she watches TV
– if she likes to watch News in the evening
3. Этап применения знаний и умений в измененных условиях.
5. Your home task was to prepare advertisements. Now let
's listen to them.
Advertise films you have chosen.
(2-3 pupils). Did you like the advertisements? Which film would you like to
see and why?
6. I want you to read the information about movies to yourself and then you’ll
have the quiz to check up how much you know about films. While reading pay
attention to the dates, names of people and countries.
7. What is the centre of the international movie industry? (Hollywood). Try to
ask and answer the questions concerning Hollywood. The only thing I’d like to
warn you is that the words in the questions are in disorder. So mind the order
of words in the questions and ask the questions in pairs, will you? (P1-P2; P2-
1. – What city is considered to be the world capital of film making industry and
– It is Los Angeles in the USA.
2. – What is the greatest cinema empire called?
– The greatest cinema empire is called Hollywood which is also a part of Los
3. – When was the first film in Los Angeles made and who were the first people to
– The very first film was shot in Los Angeles in 1908. A group of people from
Chicago was the first to shoot the first film.
4. – When did the first Hollywood film studio appear?
– It appeared in the USA in 1911.
5. – What kind of films were shot in Hollywood first?
– First were silent and black-and-white films.
6. – Who were the first film stars of the Hollywood film making?
– They were Mary Pickford and Charlie Chaplin.
7. – What were the silent black-and-white films were forced out by in the 1920s?
– In the 1920s silent and black-and white films of Hollywood were forced out by
8. – What films came up to take place of short films?
– Full-length films came up to take place of short films.
9. – When was the first colour film shot in Hollywood? What was its name?
– The first colour film shot in Hollywood was “Gone with the Wind”. It was
shot in 1939.
10 – Which of the first Hollywood film stars did the first colour film bring a great
–The first colour film “Gone with the Wind” brought a great success to Vivien
Leigh and Clark Gable.
11. – What are the biggest film making companies in the USA nowadays?
– They are
MGM, Paramount, 20
Century Fox, Columbia Pictures, Warner
12. – What genres were typical of the first films shot in Hollywood at that time?
– The first film genres of American films were melodrama, western, comedy,
adventure and historical films.
8. Let’s divide into some groups. Each group of students will make a short
report according to the following pictures .
From the history of cinematography
The spreading of cinematography in Russia is known to start in 1896 with the
demonstration of the Lumiere brothers’ film “Arrival of the Train” which took
place in St. Petersburg and in Moscow and then in Nizhni Novgorod. Moving
pictures seemed so real that the audience was frightened to death by the train
rushing at them from the screen.
The main centres of film making industry in Russia were St. Petersburg and
Moscow at that time. The first film studio was founded in Moscow by Alexander
Khanzhonkov who shot the first Russian full-length film too. The first film stars of
Russian silent films were Vera Kholodnaya, Vitold Polonski and Vladimir
The most popular genres of Russian films were screen versions of famous novels
and historic films. “The Guiet Don” after the novel by Mikhail Sholokhov and
“War and Peace” after the novel by Leo Tolstoy for example.
The first sound cinema house started its work in October 1929. It was in
Leningrad, now St. Petersburg. The 1920s are known for their real progress in
world cinematography because the first sound films appeared in several countries
at the same time – the USSR, the USA and Germany.
Hollywood as the center of the international movie industry
Los Angeles is the world capital of filmed entertainment. First it was a little city
with orange trees and great weather. One day in 1908 a group of people from
Chicago came to Los Angeles to make a film. Since that time a lot o f actors,
producers, directors and lots of other workers have been coming here.
has become the centre of international movie industry.
The first films were made
there in 1911. Films are made in English, but often dubbed into other languages. In
some countries 90 percent of the movies that people see are US productions.
One of the greatest events in Hollywood is the annual presentation of Oscar which
is the highest Award of the American Cinema Academy. This organization was
founded in 1927. Its aim was to further the development of cinematography.
statuette is a soldier standing on a reel of film. Nobody is really sure why it is
called an Oscar, although some people say that it is because when the first statuette
was made a secretary said, “It reminds me of my Uncle Oscar!” The Oscar was the
first of all the show – business awards and is still the most famous one.
On the presentation day there is a magnificent show in the Los Angeles Music
Centre. Awards are given to the best actor, to the best actress, for the best script, for
music, etc. Soviet films War and Peace and Moscow does not believe in tears have
been awarded Oscars.
Outstanding Film Makers
Cinema has become an inseparable part of our life. A lot of producers have made a
great contribution in this field of art. The most outstanding film makers of our time
are considered N.S.Mikhalkov, A.A.Tarkovski and A.Konchalovski.They are
representatives of the tradition of realism.
A.Konchalovski shot such films as “Uncle Vanya” and “Sibiriada”. Among
N.S.Mikhalkov’s films are “Urga”, “Burnt in the sun”. As for Nikita Mikhalkov he
is also one of the most brilliant actors of Russia. As an actor he first appeared in
the film “I am walking along Moscow” which was a tremendous success.
A.A.Tarkovski’s best known films are “Solyaris” and “Stalker”.Their films are
interesting not only from the artistic point of view, but from the technical one as
Great attention was always paid to shooting films for children. Alexander Rou is
known as the creator of many fairytales for children. The most famous fairytales
“Morozko”, “The Fire, Water and Copper Trumpets” are among them. Rolan
Bykov was one of the most famous Russian actors and directors of film making
industry for children too. The most famous films that he shot for children were
“Chuchelo”, “Attention! The Tortoise” and “Aibolit – 66”. They are very exciting
and were always a success with children.
All the producers mentioned above are the creators of unforgettable realistic pieces
of film are and are known all over the world.
9. There are some people who have a wonderful profession-actors and
actresses. They play different roles and wide screen is their special world.
Read five mini-biographies about movie stars and be ready to find
information and answer the questions. Before reading the texts let’s arrange
photos and names of actors and actresses.
(Фотографии изображены на
Brad or Leonardo? (Leonardo DiCaprio)
1. Born in Los Angeles in 1974, he appeared in milk commercials on TV while he
was still a child. As he grew older, he had lots of bit-parts in movies and was
nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the age of 19 for his performance in a film
called What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? He became a huge star in the record-breaking
movie Titanic. Titanic
won a lot of Oscars, although he didn’t get one. Since
making Titanic, he has been offered parts in many big movies, many of which he
has turned down. In 2002, he appeared in the Steven Spielberg film
Catch Me If
Nicole or Julia? (Nicole Kidman)
2. Born in Honolulu in June 1967 and brought up in Australia, she wanted to be a
ballet dancer but turned to acting and has never looked back. She won an Oscar in
2003 for her portrayal of Victorian British novelist Virginia Woolf in The Hours.
Russel or Brad? (Brad Pitt)
3. He was born in 1963 in Oklahoma. His father owned a truck company, his
mother was a school counselor and he was a choirboy at High School. His first job
in Hollywood was standing in the street, dressed as a chicken, offering free
cigarettes to passers-by. His breakthrough was when he got a part in the 1980s TV
series Dallas. He got his first Oscar nomination for his performance in
Monkeys in 1996. His most famous films are Fight Club and Ocean’s Eleven.
Julia or Nicole? (Julia Roberts)
4. Born in Georgia in October 1967, she wanted to be a vet until she graduated
from high school. She appeared in her first film in 1986, was nominated for an
Oscar for her performance in Steel Magnolias (1989), and finally won one for Erin
Leonardo or Russell? (Russell Crowe)
5. He was born in 1964 in Wellington, New Zealand and spent some of his early
years in Australia. When he went back to New Zealand, he formed a rock band
called Roman Antix with some friends, but they were terrible and never released
any albums. His most famous and Oscar – winning role has been the Roman
general Maximus in Gladiator.
Answer the questions:
1. Which of the actors/actresses have appeared in TV commercials?
2. Which of them are not American?
3. Who’s the oldest actor or actress in the group?
4. Which of them have won Oscars?
5. Which of them have been nominated for Oscars?
10. And now let’s pay attention to the review of a film. We’ll read the review of
the film “The Lord of the Rings” but before reading the text look through the
(p. 49 Move Ahead Ex.1, 3, 2.)
11. Plan of how to write the review of a film (Ex.4) Your home task for the
next lesson will be to prepare the review of any film you like with the help of
I think you’ve got a lot of interesting information about cinema and well-
known movie stars. You’ve worked hard at the lesson and you’ve shown good